Retrospective is a monthly post to rewind all of the happenings, thoughts, and discussions here at thoughts and afterthoughts.
Tag Archives: this is where it ends
[Review] This Is Where It Ends — Marieke Nijkamp
Book Title This Is Where It Ends
Author: Marieke Nijkamp
Number of pages: 292
10:00 a.m.: The principal of Opportunity, Alabama’s high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.
10:02 a.m.: The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.
10:03 a.m.: The auditorium doors won’t open.
10:05 a.m.: Someone starts shooting.
Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.
(re: Goodreads @ This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp)
Should this book be picked up? the tl;dr review:
– A timely novel giving life to social circles shared by school shooters. However, the shooter isn’t given a voice
– Multi POV narrative; uses twitter, blog posts, flashblacks
– Set in Alabama and raises questions per the demographics and the representation of diverse inclusion of the physically disabled, LGBTQIA+, cultural (Spanish, Middle Eastern), mentally ill
– Some scenes overdramatized with cinematic flair
– Lacking motivation for the shooter and doesn’t really provide solid reasons as to why
This book join the ranks of most underwhelming titles I’ve read in 2015 (release is in 2016). Cover’s great, though.
Full disclosure: I received an e-ARC of This Is Where It Ends from Netgalley. I extend thanks to SourceBooks Fire for providing me the opportunity to review this book.
Continue reading [Review] This Is Where It Ends — Marieke Nijkamp