Book Title: Calamity (The Reckoners #3) Author: Brandon Sanderson Number of pages: 421
When Calamity lit up the sky, the Epics were born. David’s fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. Steelheart killed his father. Firefight stole his heart. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy.
David knew Prof’s secret, and kept it even when the Reckoners’ leader struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He’s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there’s no turning back…
But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics—Megan proved it. They’re not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.
(re: Goodreads @ Calamity by Brandon Sanderson)
Should this book be picked up? the tl;dr review:
– Continued excellence in an [new] immersive setting; this time taking place in Ildithia (post-mortem Atlanta)
– The once endearing metaphors/similes of David Charleston feels burdensome to read especially during fight-or-flight situations
– Expands upon existing character arcs but lacks focus on the “real” key players to the story as it relates to the world/magic systems; the big reveal just didn’t work for me
– New Epics revealed with fun powers that integrate smoothly with the action sequences
– Holds a questionable ending to an explosive series that can be both positive and underwhelming
Reality gave the middle finger to expectation, basically.