Alternatives is the tagline feature for other forms of entertainment outside of discussing literature. These posts may encompass television, movies, games, and music with a randomized flavour of the moment approach to each post.
Movies Trailers – The 5th Wave (2016)
Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Survival, Aliens, Romance
Directed By: J Blakeson
Screenplay By: Susannah Grant
Starring: Chloe Grace Moretz (Cassie), Alex Roe (Evan), Nick Robinson (Ben), Maika Monroe (Ringer), Liev Schreiber (Vosch)
Release Date: January 15, 2016
In the new film The 5th Wave, four waves of increasingly deadly attacks have left most of Earth decimated. Cassie is on the run, desperately trying to save her younger brother.
I was actually expecting this teaser trailer to make waves closer to the release of The Maze Runner’s: Scorch Trials next month but I’m going to guess that since there was a “leak”, Sony was like just “okaywhynot“. And since I saw this trailer yesterday, I HAD A DAY TO SIMMER MY THOUGHTS.
Let it be known that I rated The 5th Wave a 4/5 two years ago; The Infinite Sea a 2/5. So everything I say next is with the best intentions as a reader who is invested in the story.
Cassie (seems pretty solid), Ben (so baby faced), and Evan (all dat scruff)–were all fine. It’s Ringer that’s slightly odd to me. I love Maika Monroe and what she’s done with The Guest and It Follows; stellar movies in their own right, so she’ll probably change any reservations I have. But this was an opportunity to showcase an Asian/Native actress. It’s passable though as acting can save all of the writing and all that jazz.
It’s the direction/world-building that I’m hoping is more than what the trailer lets on. But here are some glaring thoughts (ahem):
- Where’s the snow and everything that’s supposed to be associated with freezing to death in Winter?
- Why is it so bright everywhere?
- Wtf is this lake bathing nonsense?
- Are they merging the contents of T5W with TIS?
- How will they portray multi-POV writing on screen (one of the strengths IMO of Yancey’s storytelling; it was told in 4-POVs)
- How will they handle the key moments?!?!
- THIS TRAILER CONVINCES ME, AS A VIEWER, THAT A LOVE TRIANGLE COMING IN HOT.
- The trailer should have ended with: “Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity’s last war, then I am the battlefield.” – Part of a longer quote, and one of the most epic feels of The 5th Wave.
Most of this might mean nothing to you unless you’ve read the book. So if you’ve read The 5th Wave, let me know your thoughts! Or if you haven’t, are you convinced to pick up the title now? (Alternatively, will you see the film?)
In terms of the recent “young adult Alien” market, only The Host comes close to its story (I’m probably forgetting something else), so it could be a success? Either way, I’m convinced I’ll dislike this film despite throwing money at it… -__- but maybe future trailers can convince me otherwise.
(Disclaimer: Promo poster isn’t official. Will change the banner/poster when it releases.)